Hubbell Integrated Solutions recently announced a strategic partnership with Signify and Point Inside for the development and offering of an end-to-end Indoor Positioning Solution, called “Hubbell IPS.” Hubbell IPS provides customers with the ability to implement real-time location and analytics services for indoor venues, such as retail, hospitality, entertainment, healthcare, transportation and special event environments.
Hubbell IPS is an enterprise-level real-time location solution that combines Hubbell Lighting’s award-winning commercial luminaire platform with Signify’s indoor positioning platform (comprised of Visible Light Communication and Bluetooth® beaconing hardware, location algorithms and cloud services), and Point Inside’s best-in-class mapping, mobile SDKs and location analytics platform.
How It Works
Users typically interact with IPS technology through an enabled venue-specific application on an Internet-connected mobile device that depicts a user’s indoor position relative to an indoor map or virtual floorplan. Applications using Hubbell IPS employ specially designed algorithms and embedded technologies operating on these devices – such as camera sensors and wireless transceivers, magnetometer, gyroscope, accelerometer and core location services – to determine a user’s precise location within indoor environments, which are inaccessible by traditional GPS technology.
Applications and Opportunities
Venue specific search enables users to easily find what they need or where they are going, as well as how to get there. Retail, hospitality, transportation, event, venue and facility stakeholders are able to utilize intelligent mapping, boost operational efficiency by better understanding occupant behavior, enhance occupant or shopper retail engagement, and capture location analytics.
Healthcare facilities can leverage Hubbell IPS to improve caretaker experience by providing navigation and orientation, which improve both patient and caretaker autonomy and reduce the overall demand on healthcare staff members.
Advanced Retail Features
Hubbell IPS-enabled smartphone applications provide users with real-time location while simultaneously providing enterprise analytics for venue owners and operators including:
- In-store product searches, views and selections
- Maps for shopping list with optimized routes enhance shopper experience
- Improve store associate productivity
- Venue geofencing for entry notification, motion trails and shopper activity
- Microfencing for proximity-based recommendations
- User motion paths, dwell times
- Checkout merchandise confirmation
In addition to the features noted above, Hubbell IPS users also have access to sophisticated location analytics, which allows them to discover the most trafficked areas of a facility or store. This data supports:
- Audience Generation: Creating highly specific audiences based on in-venue behaviors to drive more sales
- Merchandising Analytics: View data on a map to get a visual and location-based view of sell through data, search data, traffic patterns and brand affinity
- Buy online, pickup in-store (BOPIS) and Store Analytics: Manage and report on tasks daily