The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) develops performance and other standards; crafts and executes advocacy campaigns; and provides analytical products to assist member companies with business decisions.
The Program Manager – Lighting Systems Standards manages the standards development process for several technologies in the Lighting Systems sector. The program manager works with member companies to conduct an industry-wide assessment of extent standards; gaps in this topology; and identification of high priority potential new standards. The position reports to the Sr. Director — Standards
Management Directorate. The incumbent will work in a matrixed organization supporting the Lighting Systems Division. The incumbent will from time to time take on additional tasks as needed.
The position is in Arlington (Rosslyn), Virginia and may include up to 30 percent time on travel including both domestic and international.
I. Develop and maintain manufacturing and performance standards related to lighting products and lighting systems for residential, commercial, industrial and outdoor use.
• Survey and monitor the national and international standards environment and trends; be accountable for developing plans and achieving goals on behalf of members’ interests
• Direct accomplishment of: creation, review, revision, hibernation and retirement of standards
• Conceptualize and assist in the development of quantitative/qualitative performance, quality and safety standards so as to enhance use of member products/services
II. Lead two NEMA Section Technical Committees, three active ANSI Accredited Standards Committees and cross-division technical working groups as assigned.
• Develop annual and situational work plans; and achieve all assigned plan(s) objectives
• Plan logistical arrangements, manage meetings, prepare meeting minutes and distribute associated documents according to NEMA best practices.
• Drive and be accountable for committee and team outcomes.
• Adhere to established domestic SDO policies and procedures.
III. Build effective and persistent personal lines of communication with NEMA member companies, technical committee members as well as key participants in non-NEMA standards activities. When directed, establish excellent communications with US government agencies as well as international regulatory bodies.
IV. Develop and execute annual committee budgets – including possible supplementary funds additions; oversee all contracts with outside vendors arising from these responsibilities; and remain on or under budgeted thresholds throughout the year.
Experience and Qualifications
• Undergraduate degree in engineering or technical field required; advanced degree a plus. Lighting experience a plus
• Minimum of 3-5 years full-time experience in related field
• Demonstrated results-oriented team leadership and expertise
• Knowledge of ANSI standards development processes and policies and standards development experience a plus
• Strong time management and budget planning/execution skills and ability to execute multiple projects against demanding timelines
• Proven skill to clearly and persuasively write, speak and represent, including on technical matters, at all times displaying executive presence • Work within and contribute to overall NEMA goals and Divisional/personal goals
• Eager to take on new challenges, evince a positive attitude and possess an
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and effective user of Workspace to organize, track and communicate with member participants
NEMA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including paid holidays and personal time, flexible working hours, 401(k) plan, health/dental insurance, and partial pre-tax parking/Metro subsidy.
Interested individuals should submit a current resume, specifying salary requirements, here or by fax to (703) 841-3372.